It’s easy to associate the word “natural” with the image of clean, fresh, makeup-free faces. Many women out there (including myself) wish we felt comfortable enough donning our sincere, natural looks, but this isn’t always the case. I do think makeup is an art form, but I prefer a minimalist approach for my day-to-day regimen. There’s a time and place for full-on makeup, think special celebrations or particular occasions like birthdays, nights out, and other parties. But if you ask me, women look best when they know how to look natural with just a few products. Liquid foundation melting off your face in sticky clumps is never an attractive sight. Not for anyone.
Below are six essentials included in my daily makeup regimen. I use them in the order listed below. After reading the descriptions, you may think, “Wow, those are all really expensive.” I’ve used basic brands found at Target or Wal-Mart before. While they look decent as you’re applying them, I’ve noticed they only last a maximum of 2 hours. The kicker with the beauty products below is that they last all day long. 24 hours is a long time, and that’s exactly what I’m looking for. Since you don’t have to reapply, you end up using less, which in my mind justifies the cost.
1. Too Faced’s Primed & Poreless Face Primer is incredible. It’s silky smooth and feels light and feathery on your face. You don’t need to use much, so the bottle lasts for quite some time. It’s the perfect way to even out your skin tone, minimize your pores, and gives the appearance of flawless skin alone. Cha-ching. [Buy at Sephora for $30.00]
2. Bobbi Brown’s Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer with SPF 15 is one of the best foundation-like products I’ve ever used. It’s better than any liquid foundation or BB cream I’ve tried thus far. Since it’s oil free, it leaves your skin looking dewy but not oily, and reflects a perfect bronzed look without using bronzer. The SPF content is awesome as well- heavy protection with the appearance of light coverage. This is a must-have in my book. [Buy at Sephora for $42.00]
3. MAC’s Studio Fix Pressed Powder is one I’ve been using for over 5 years. I just can’t seem to find anything that beats the quality or overall wear-time of this powder. You only have to use a little, so the higher price tag is worth it since the compact will be with you for months on end. [Buy at MAC for $27.00]
4. Too Faced’s Brow Envy Kit is to die for. It even comes with stencils to help you shape your brows if you’re going for a different look. I never leave the house without filling in my brows. My Secret: The fuller the brows, the less eye makeup needed. You’re welcome. [Buy at Sephora for $35.00]
5. Too Faced’s Size Queen Mascara is hard to beat. The huge brush makes it easy to apply, but the smaller bristles in between grab those stubborn little lashes. I’ve branched out and used other mascaras, but keep coming back to this one. [Buy at Sephora for $21.00]
6. Make Up Forever Rouge Artist Intense Lipstick #38 in Satin Coral is a newer purchase, but I’m already loving it. This lipstick goes on smooth and has long-lasting wear. They have plenty of colors to choose from, but this one is smack dab in the middle between pink and coral. Perfection. [Buy at Sephora for $19.00]
One thing I’ve noticed as the years go by (besides my metabolism slowing down) is how quickly my ab muscles seem to fade. I can work out extremely hard for one week, but if I take even a day or two off, it seems as though they’ve disappeared altogether. Normal crunches and sit-ups used to be my go-to, but I’m realizing that I need to switch up my workout more often if I want to see better results.
I found this 10 minute ab workout by POP Pilates and I must say, it’s keeping me on my toes. I live by this workout and perform it religiously. What’s great is that you don’t need a gym to do it. Just pick a spot in your living room and go for it. Fair warning: it’s really intense. Totally worth it though.
We did it. Day 31. Time to say goodbye to 2012 and look forward to a new year.
This segment of my blog has taught me many things, however one of those sticks out the most. There is always time to enjoy yourself. You may be busy, you may be stressed, you may feel as though your world is ending. It isn’t. And I’m here to tell you that you’ll be just fine. All you need to do is take a step back. Breathe it in. Breathe life in.
Take time for you. Take it upon yourself to do something you truly enjoy each and every day. You’ll live a better, healthier, happier life for it. Having done it myself, I can guarantee it.
With that being said, I’d like to say cheers. Cheers to an incredibly prosperous and enjoyable New Year!
Once I realized my company considered both New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day as holidays, I knew I needed to take advantage. The holidays fell perfectly around the weekend, with Monday being NYE and Tuesday being New Year’s Day. I decided to spend the last few days of 2012 and first few days of 2013 in California with one of the most remarkable people in my life. My boyfriend.
We’ve had our ups and downs over the past 5 years, but we always make it through. I spent NYE 2011 with him, and I’m so fortunate to have spent this NYE with him as well. We made more than one trip to the movie theatre, grubbed at some local restaurants, slept in late, and bopped around shopping centers. What’s funny is that it didn’t matter what we did or where we went. All that mattered was that we were together. Even if only for a short time, it’s always the best time. Happy New Year, baby.
As much as I love to read, I tend to get halfway through a book before I set it down and pick up another project. My sister is aware of this bad habit of mine, so we had this brilliant idea to start a book club. We’ll read the same book in its entirety by setting up a reading schedule and choosing dates to Skype or iChat about it. For book lovers, this is the perfect way to start the New Year. Our first chosen book is… Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. It’s definitely one for thrill seekers.
My mom was kind enough to get me an iPad mini for Christmas. The screen is the perfect size, the body is super slim, and it’s light and easy to carry around. Not to mention, I can blog from it! Needless to say, I’ve been geeking out ever since.
When I packed my life up to move to Texas, I was in somewhat of a hurry. After the job offer came in, I only had about 3 weeks to pack up and move to a new and foreign city. That being said, I left a lot behind. I decided that since I was home for two weeks, I should spring clean in December and donate those old clothes and knick knacks that have been collecting dust for over two years. Out with the old and in with the new!
It’s a running tradition in our family to attend the evening church service on Christmas Eve. Every year, we head to church for the heartwarming, candlelit 8:30 service. It’s easy to get caught up with work, gift shopping, and final exams during the holiday season and sometimes we forget to focus on what Christmas is really about. This time of the year is the perfect opportunity to renew your spirituality, faith in religion, or whatever your beliefs may be. Church service on Christmas Eve serves as a special reminder to be grateful for everything I have been blessed me with. I am forever fortunate and grateful for this wonderful life I live.
Just because it’s the holiday season doesn’t mean you have to sit inside all day eating sugar cookies, drinking eggnog, and watching A Christmas Story on repeat. Okay, I will admit that that does sound pretty nice. We’ll save that for later.
My family and I woke up this morning ready to get out of the house and enjoy the incredible 57° weather. We hiked along Gateway Trailhead which is very close to our house and even managed to take some pictures along the way. An hour and a half and 4.2 miles later, we were done! I feel fortunate that my family likes to exercise as much as I do because working out alone is fine, but it’s definitely more enjoyable with loved ones. Happy Christmas Eve, everyone!