Category Archives: Savvy Saturdays
Let’s cut to the chase. I wish I could say I’ve been more interested in clothes than fitness equipment lately, but if I did, I’d be lying. I found myself waltzing around Marshall’s HomeGoods today in an extremely great mood. Why? Because everything I was looking for was sitting on a single shelf right when I walked in. Divine intervention.
I’m very particular about what I put on my back, but I’ll admit from time to time I’m even more interested in what’s underneath my clothes. And I’m not just talking skin. I’m talking about the pretty little things we all oooh and ahhh over. Yes, I’m talking lingerie.
I’m really not a huge fan of the word. Lingerie. It sounds somewhat inappropriate and seems to be cast in a negative, melodramatic light. So let’s just call it like it is. Bras & undies. There, I said it.
I’ve ventured into Victoria’s Secret twice in just the past week and both times I’ve walked out completely satisfied. It’s not everyday you can get 3 bras for the price of 1 (or in my case, 6 for the price of 2!). Sadly, the Victoria’s Secret Semi-Annual Sale ends tomorrow. I highly recommend scurrying in and snatching up some bras for $15.99 and panties for $2.99. Or you can do it online. Such a steal.
It’s easy to associate the word “natural” with the image of clean, fresh, makeup-free faces. Many women out there (including myself) wish we felt comfortable enough donning our sincere, natural looks, but this isn’t always the case. I do think makeup is an art form, but I prefer a minimalist approach for my day-to-day regimen. There’s a time and place for full-on makeup, think special celebrations or particular occasions like birthdays, nights out, and other parties. But if you ask me, women look best when they know how to look natural with just a few products. Liquid foundation melting off your face in sticky clumps is never an attractive sight. Not for anyone.
Below are six essentials included in my daily makeup regimen. I use them in the order listed below. After reading the descriptions, you may think, “Wow, those are all really expensive.” I’ve used basic brands found at Target or Wal-Mart before. While they look decent as you’re applying them, I’ve noticed they only last a maximum of 2 hours. The kicker with the beauty products below is that they last all day long. 24 hours is a long time, and that’s exactly what I’m looking for. Since you don’t have to reapply, you end up using less, which in my mind justifies the cost.
1. Too Faced’s Primed & Poreless Face Primer is incredible. It’s silky smooth and feels light and feathery on your face. You don’t need to use much, so the bottle lasts for quite some time. It’s the perfect way to even out your skin tone, minimize your pores, and gives the appearance of flawless skin alone. Cha-ching. [Buy at Sephora for $30.00]
2. Bobbi Brown’s Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer with SPF 15 is one of the best foundation-like products I’ve ever used. It’s better than any liquid foundation or BB cream I’ve tried thus far. Since it’s oil free, it leaves your skin looking dewy but not oily, and reflects a perfect bronzed look without using bronzer. The SPF content is awesome as well- heavy protection with the appearance of light coverage. This is a must-have in my book. [Buy at Sephora for $42.00]
3. MAC’s Studio Fix Pressed Powder is one I’ve been using for over 5 years. I just can’t seem to find anything that beats the quality or overall wear-time of this powder. You only have to use a little, so the higher price tag is worth it since the compact will be with you for months on end. [Buy at MAC for $27.00]
4. Too Faced’s Brow Envy Kit is to die for. It even comes with stencils to help you shape your brows if you’re going for a different look. I never leave the house without filling in my brows. My Secret: The fuller the brows, the less eye makeup needed. You’re welcome. [Buy at Sephora for $35.00]
5. Too Faced’s Size Queen Mascara is hard to beat. The huge brush makes it easy to apply, but the smaller bristles in between grab those stubborn little lashes. I’ve branched out and used other mascaras, but keep coming back to this one. [Buy at Sephora for $21.00]
6. Make Up Forever Rouge Artist Intense Lipstick #38 in Satin Coral is a newer purchase, but I’m already loving it. This lipstick goes on smooth and has long-lasting wear. They have plenty of colors to choose from, but this one is smack dab in the middle between pink and coral. Perfection. [Buy at Sephora for $19.00]
It wasn’t too long ago that I discovered Langford Market in Rice Village one sunny, humid day in Houston. When my new job offer arose and I realized I’d be moving 45 minutes north, I had an irrational fear that I wouldn’t be able to shop there as often. As with every other store they have an online site, but I was happy to discover a physical, real-life store in Market Street which is only about 10 minutes away from my current residence.
I want to highlight this boutique because of the incredible quality and use of unique patterns and prints. Langford Market has found a way to mix elegant and feminine designs with trendy and mod settings. With so many boutiques on the rise, these traits can be hard to find. Here are some items I ordered recently:
Not to mention, they always have amazing sales… like the one going on right now. Get 50% off your entire purchase, and free shipping for orders over $50 through Monday noon CST. Happy shopping!
To celebrate losing the 2lbs I re-gained over the holidays (as well as another half pound down), I decided to venture over to the mall for some retail therapy. I popped into Victoria’s Secret and was immediately drawn to their PINK yoga section. The bras and shorts are perfect for yoga, bikram yoga, or regular gym sessions. I was able to buy a few presents for Christmas, but seeing as yesterday was payday, it was a no-brainer that’d I’d splurge a little on myself.
Some of the goodies I’ll be donning at my next workout:
From left to right:
VS PINK Lightweight Crew Sweater ($32.50)
VS PINK Lace Bralette in Two-Toned Peach & Nude ($24.50)
VS PINK Yoga Cross-Back Bra in Pink and Two-Toned Gray & Yellow ($29.50)
VS PINK Yoga Shortie in Gray and Flower Pattern ($24.50)
VS PINK Boyshort ($10.50)
Whew. It’s been awhile since I’ve done a Savvy Saturdays post. I think it’s because I am so over summer weather. I haven’t been excited about summer fashion because I’ve just been waiting and waiting for fall. Well, it’s official (at least in Texas). The weather is cooling down to the low 50s and 60s, the highs hitting mid 70s. Time to stuff those summer clothes in the far back corner of the closet and bring forward the jeans, coats, scarves, hats, leggings, tights, gloves, and boots. Oh Fall, how I adore you.
Time for Savvy Spender Saturdays. With my next paycheck, I will definitely be indulging in many of these purchases.
via atlantic pacific
And lastly, via saboskirt
Dresses & bright colors – Happy Summer!